microwave popcorn - Get the Facts !!!

skylady

Whoops, another unhealthy item...

Death in a popcorn bag

The FDA has its feathers ruffled over the imaginary dangers of side-stream smoke, but it wouldn't know a real threat if it popped them in the face -- or if it was popping in their microwave.

That's right, the comforting aroma of buttery popcorn that has a way of filling every room in your house should be anything but comforting -- because it could be killing you.

It's not the popcorn itself that's the problem -- it's the "buttery taste." It might taste like butter, but it's nothing close to real thing -- not by a long shot. The flavoring comes from a chemical called diacetyl.

You'll find diacetyl in dairy products like milk, cheese, and yes, even butter. But it's a far cry from the synthetic version that goes straight from the lab to your microwave popcorn. And to make matters worse, when diacetyl is exposed to heat it releases a vapor that can cause irreversible damage to your lungs.

The popcorn industry has kept the dangers of diacetyl hush hush as much as possible, but they've known for years that the chemical risks the lives of popcorn plant workers who breathe in the fumes on a consistent basis. Hundreds of workers have had their lungs damaged or destroyed completely, and many have filed suit against the popcorn companies.

But now we're finding out that plant workers aren't the only ones in danger. Cases of the same lung condition are showing up in consumers who chow down on microwave popcorn on a regular basis. And it's no wonder -- turns out that after you pop a bag of microwave popcorn, the levels of diacetyl in your house are eerily similar to those found in the popcorn plants. Now that the public is beginning to sit up and take notice, big name popcorn companies are finally starting to look for an alternative to diacetyl. Well, it's about time. I guess it's no skin off their backs to lose a few employees here and there -- but to lose sales is serious business. Still, I wouldn't take any comfort in their promise of a safer substitute -- especially after they kept the dangers of diacetyl under wraps for so long.

For years I've been saying carbs will kill you. Turns out I was even more right than I thought.

Popping mainstream's myths,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

it looks like orville might be ok... :question:

Orville Redenbacher and ACT II Popcorn - Diacetyl Free

17 Dec, 2007 Author: Steve | Filed Under: Popcorn |

ConAgra Foods today announced that it has reformulated its Orville Redenbacher's and ACT II microwave popcorn brands with a new butter flavoring that has no added diacetyl. These newly reformulated products are arriving on store shelves now.

orville-redenbacher-diacetyl-792501.jpg

Diacetyl has been under scrutiny because of its ability to cause lung cancer. The chemical is added to microwave popcorn because it provides the buttery taste. Both factory workers and popcorn eaters are said to be at risk just by smelling the aroma.

All packages with the new taste formula will have "No Added Diacetyl" printed near the date code. Additionally, ConAgra Foods is introducing a new packaging design for all of its reformulated microwave popcorn products that will state "New Great Tasting Butter Flavor".

Creepy population control type of stuff!

I went ahead and posted the link to this thread in my Blog. People ought to know about this.

There are other ways to control population growth you know? Like the soon to be administered H1N1 (harmless FLU) vaccine (the vaccine is the danger, not the FLU itself).

Jeepers creepers.

js

Me either and won't do it...

I'll go to jail first, if they get to the point of trying to force us to get shots :veryangry:

All the Big shot Drug companies & government agencies that spend

OUR money to try and get us sick or dead, can take the shots themselves...

• 1 month later...

Archived