Latvia and Lithuania detain 108 over multi-million euro call centre scam

Rate this topic

• Root Admin

On 24 and 25 March hundreds of officers, including special intervention teams, raided a total of three call centres belonging to the same organised crime group. Its members are accused of defrauding victims across the world.

Under their orders, an army of up to 200 fake ‘traders’, speaking English, Russian, Polish and Hindi, would call unsuspecting victims to persuade them to part with their savings, promising lucrative investment opportunities. However, the investments in bitcoin, commodities and foreign currencies were all fake. 

According to preliminary calculations, the suspects arrested are believed to have turned an illegal profit of over EUR 3 million per month with this scam. 

Source: https://www.europol.europa.eu/media-press/newsroom/news/latvia-and-lithuania-detain-108-over-multi-million-euro-call-centre-scam

Have you been called by the people from call centers promising you very lucrative investment opportunities? I get one atleast every two weeks. It seems my number is listed in some databases. I turn them down every single time.