Can You Tell The Difference Between A Real Smile From A Fake Smile?

MrD

• Root Admin

Most people are surprisingly bad at spotting fake smiles. One possible explanation for this is that it may be easier for people to get along if they don't always know what others are really feeling.

Although fake smiles often look very similar to genuine smiles, they are actually slightly different, because they are brought about by different muscles, which are controlled by different parts of the brain.

You got 17 out of 20 correct

So Can you (click the link to take the test)http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/smiles/' rel="external nofollow">

• 1 month later...
Guest arturomccoy

As you seen on the results page those scientists give some good explanations however is kinda hard to put in practice :huh:

yeah, it's really hard for us to determine because we are not used to it. I only got 10 over 20... B) not bad

I can spot a fake smile in my day to day life because if a girl (girls do it the most), was to smile at you to say hello or something like that; it would be obvious that it's fake.

The smile is for you to feel good, not them expressing their happiness to see you. Not that girls aren't happy to see me, but that no sane person smiles at everyone they meet, it's not a Nick Jr tv show.

But on that BBC test, I might fail because it's photos, and the smiles aren't really in a visual context (video).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I got 13/20... i dont like my score... i was thinking i got higher than that...

Spot The Fake Smile

Results

You got 13 out of 20 correct

Look at the labels below each image to see which smiles are genuine and which are fake.

Ticks and crosses show which smiles you got right and wrong.

Click on the image if you want to see the smile again.

You got 10 out of 20 correct

Look at the labels below each image to see which smiles are genuine and which are fake.

Ticks and crosses show which smiles you got right and wrong.

Click on the image if you want to see the smile again.

only half of it, so i guess I do not know how to distiguish between a fake and a real one

I think I am better than you guys in spotting a genuine smile except for Admin Dennis. I got higher score than you Admin got 17, i got the 2nd place with 13 and then 12, 11, and 10... at least that is the half score and we will consider it the passing grade..hehehe

Well I am sure in real world we will be able to distinguish the real and fake

smile though, because these are only picture, we can never tell right?

I am a female, as we say female instinct are good :P

Well I am sure in real world we will be able to distinguish the real and fake

smile though, because these are only picture, we can never tell right?

I am a female, as we say female instinct are good :P

hehehe, yea your right... but maybe you just did not pay attention to the test. The test is not just picture. It is a short movie clip about 2 second more or less. And in the test, the subject are aware that they are the subject of the test. So there is an emotional twirl in the way they give out their smiles. So....

hehehe, yea your right... but maybe you just did not pay attention to the test. The test is not just picture. It is a short movie clip about 2 second more or less. And in the test, the subject are aware that they are the subject of the test. So there is an emotional twirl in the way they give out their smiles. So....

hey i did not know that they are video, I thought they are just plain shot of different people posing in front of the camera, when I have time again I will go and check it up. thanks for that tip mate

I think I am better than you guys in spotting a genuine smile except for Admin Dennis. I got higher score than you Admin got 17, i got the 2nd place with 13 and then 12, 11, and 10... at least that is the half score and we will consider it the passing grade..hehehe

10 (or 50% is mediocre) I'm going to take that test after 3 months to see if I've improved. I hope I get a higher score than you pjb ehehe

10 (or 50% is mediocre) I'm going to take that test after 3 months to see if I've improved. I hope I get a higher score than you pjb ehehe

hmnn beats me i think i will also do the same although not that long haha!

I simply could not accept the result of the test i got here lolz

hmnn beats me i think i will also do the same although not that long haha!

I simply could not accept the result of the test i got here lolz

Oh 3 months is good enough for me to forget the actual real or fake smiles. If I do it after a week. I won't consider it fair and I won't improve. Don't tell me you took the quiz again only after a few minutes after seeing the correct ones?

Archived