Difference between margarine and butter

skylady

...to your Health

Pass The Butter .... please

This is interesting and educational. . . .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.
When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.
It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter.
How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW.. the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few
only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years

And now! , for Margarine..

Very high in trans fatty acids .

Triple risk of coronary heart disease .

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends..... (If you want to 'butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:
'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others. '

skylady ;)

:clap: and jaw drops with a H.S.

So that's why it is easier to spread then butter.

And I used to like the taste of margarine better then butter. Now very glad that I switched as butter is actually cheaper.

That was a real eye opener.

• Root Admin

Thank you skylady for posting this.. I'm not using margarine as I'm on diet for a couple of months. In fact I wasn't a margarine fan before that too but I know a lot of people who buy and use it in the morning on breakfast..

Anyway when I ask them why they bought it instead of butter they tell me 2 things:

1) Is cheaper

2) Have less calories than butter.

Now I can show them that have less calories and ask them if they want to increase with 53% the risk to get a heart disease or pay a little more for a healthy , more tasty product as butter is..

Thanks again

Make some copies of this post on 'Difference between margarine and butter' and hand them out Dennis,

if they still choose to buy and eat margarine, not much else you can do...

Each person has to decide for themselves what they put in their bodies, all we can do is try to educate them smile.gif

SkyLady do you know where that study was originally published. Will look so much more 'pop' then a re-edited version. As I know from experience (my parents believe nothing unless an 'official' person has told them) that some people have a hard time believing the truth.

I will also be looking for the original I would love to post that one around town.

My parents have switched from butter to margarine I just found out (mom refills the butter container with margarine), and they keep saying how it has less fat and is better for you. *shiver* So I will stop having the spread for the time being.

My family is prone to heart disease, as that is the reason I eat so much tomatoes even though it is bad for arthritis it is great for the heart.

(mom refills the butter container with margarine)

:rofl: :rofl: She got ya on this one

No kidding, I feel duped.

Good thing I am Planning on getting out and back to my own place. At first I was like, my son would like the fact he is with his mom and grandparents, more stability, considering what is going on, but sheesh.

I'll check for an 'Official' Article on margarine vs butter Lady_8

If I don't get back to you by the end of the week, PM me... k ?

skylady :)

Me too, I love scouring the internet for information, is almost an obsession. If I do find it I will post as well, one of us should be able to find something.

Sure thing hun,

Lady_8

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

thanks skylady for sharing this information, my shop is just beside a burger stand and when they fry the patties they are using margarine actually at first i thought it is more healthy than using oil but now after reading your posting i think i will stop buying burgers from them,

thanks skylady for sharing this information, my shop is just beside a burger stand and when they fry the patties they are using margarine actually at first i thought it is more healthy than using oil but now after reading your posting i think i will stop buying burgers from them,

oh.. if you share this information to all the people in your neighborhood, that would end up burger stand to be closed. Make sure that they will not caught you spreading the news.

oh.. if you share this information to all the people in your neighborhood, that would end up burger stand to be closed. Make sure that they will not caught you spreading the news.

I don't think I should be doing that even if I should be concern with my neighbors,

but don't you think it is more proper to talk to the owner of the burger stand not to

use margarine and rather use oil as an alternative? if i do your advice i would end up

having an enemy on year end :D

Archived