Vitamin D’s Benefits

Rate this topic

Guest Mary

Study Identifies Vitamin D's Benefits for Diabetic Heart Health

September 2009

Vitamin D may inhibit the build-up of cholesterol in blood vessels,

says a new study that calls for vitamin D supplements

to improve the heart health of diabetics.

According to new findings published in Circulation, diabetics—a population group at higher risk of heart disease—with low vitamin D levels displayed difficulties in processing cholesterol, putting them at an increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

"Vitamin D inhibits the uptake of cholesterol by cells called macrophages," explained lead researcher Carlos Bernal-Mizrachi, MD. "When people are deficient in vitamin D, the macrophage cells eat more cholesterol, and they can't get rid of it. The macrophages get clogged with cholesterol and become what scientists call foam cells, which are one of the earliest markers of atherosclerosis."

Macrophage activation is higher in people with disease such as diabetes, and when found in combination with low vitamin D levels, the macrophages become loaded with cholesterol and eventually stiffen blood vessels and block blood flow.

"Cholesterol is transported through the blood attached to lipoproteins such as LDL, the 'bad' cholesterol," he said. "As it is stimulated by oxygen radicals in the vessel wall, LDL becomes oxidated and macrophages eat it uncontrollably. LDL cholesterol then clogs the macrophages and that's how atherosclerosis begins."

And the problem may be solved by simply ensuring adequate vitamin D status via supplements, say researchers from Washington University in St. Louis.

"There is debate about whether any amount of sun exposure is safe,

so oral vitamin D supplements may work best," said Bernal-Mizrachi.

Vitamin D refers to two biologically inactive precursors—D3, also known as cholecalciferol and D2, also known as ergocalciferol. The former, produced in the skin on exposure to UVB radiation (290 to 320 nm), is said to be more bioactive. The latter is derived from plants and only enters the body via the diet from consumption of foods such as oily fish, egg yolk and liver.

Both D3 and D2 precursors are hydroxylated in the liver and kidneys to form 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D), the non-active "storage" form, and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D (1,25(OH)2D), the biologically active form that is tightly controlled by the body.

Bernal-Mizrachi and his co-workers obtained macrophage cells from diabetics and non-diabetics, with and without vitamin D deficiency. When the cells were exposed to cholesterol and low vitamin D levels, they found that low vitamin D levels in the culture dish resulted in more macrophages becoming foam cells.

On the other hand, when the human macrophages were placed in a vitamin D-rich environment, the uptake of cholesterol was suppressed,

and they didn't become foam cells, Bernal-Mizrachi said.

The researchers noted that it may be possible to delay or reverse

the development of atherosclerosis in diabetics by helping them regain adequate vitamin D levels.

The next stage in the research is to look at vitamin D-deficient diabetics who also have high blood pressure. Bernal-Mizrachi said he wants to learn whether replacing vitamin D will lower blood pressure and improve blood flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Osteoporosis is most often associated with inadequate calcium intake. However, a deficiency of vitamin D also contributes to osteoporosis by reducing calcium absorption.33 While rickets and osteomalacia are extreme examples of vitamin D deficiency, osteopororsis is an example of a long-term effect of vitamin D insufficiency.34 Adequate storage levels of vitamin D help keep bones strong and may help prevent osteoporosis in older adults, in those who have difficulty walking and exercising, in post-menopausal women, and in individuals on chronic steroid therapy.35

Vitamin D deficiency, which is often seen in post-menopausal women and older Americans, has been associated with greater incidence of hip fractures.39-41 In a review of women with osteoporosis hospitalized for hip fractures, 50 percent were found to have signs of vitamin D deficiency.35 Daily supplementation with 20 800 IU of vitamin D may reduce the risk of osteoporotic fractures in elderly populations with low blood levels of vitamin D.42 The Decalyos II study examined the effect of combined calcium and vitamin D supplementation in a group of elderly women who were able to walk indoors with a cane or walker. The women were studied for two years, and results suggested that such supplementation could reduce the risk of hip fractures in this population.

----------------------------------------------------------

Baccarat

Play Online Poker

Thats absolutly correct sunny...

and women especially should be taking this instead of

the crap drugs they dupe some of the "my doctor said i should take this...

and my doctor said i should take that women"

those are the ones that are taking crap like...

Actonel Oral

Actonel Oral Side Effects

Upset stomach or headache may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur:

* bone/joint/muscle pain

* jaw pain

* eye/vision problems

This medication may infrequently cause irritation and ulcers in your stomach or esophagus. Seek immediate attention if any of these serious side effects occur:

* new/severe/worsening heartburn

* chest pain

* difficult or painful swallowing

* severe stomach/abdominal pain

* black/tarry stools

* vomit that looks like coffee grounds

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include:

* rash

* itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat)

* severe dizziness

* trouble breathing

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

and this is just 1..

there are 6 more...

now why in the hell would any halfway intelligent person want to take this...

with all the potential bad side effects..instead of taking vitamin d3...

with all the good side effects... :X

here is the link...for further reading if one chooses :)

http://www.healthcentral.com/osteoporosis/find-drug.html

• 1 year later...

hi, what i know is that you get this vitamin D from the sun. but there's an specific time for you to go out there. because there's what they called ultraviolet rays that can be harmful to your health.

It depends on the time, if you put yourself under the sun at noon, you get burned so there is no vitamin D there.. you should go under the sun at early morning. When it is not that warm yet.

It depends on the time, if you put yourself under the sun at noon, you get burned so there is no vitamin D there.. you should go under the sun at early morning. When it is not that warm yet.

hey i just said that here, its what i meant for "specific time" from 7-9am is still fine to go out. other sources are egg, salmon, tuna, mushrooms and even eel.. :laugh: :wacko:

look what google can do....il bet you did not know that before...hahahaha

i didn't google it friend, it came from my superpower mind lol. actually i found the information on other search engine, not google. i can eat egg, but i cant take eel, what about you? maybe i'll just get it the natural way.

• 4 weeks later...

I have no forbidden foods, i can take all. But that doesnt mean i am healthy totaly, i have physical weaknesses too.

good for you pj, some people have allergies on a certain food like seafoods. :rolleyes: but i don't have it so i'm lucky, i'm just maintaining a balanced diet, vegetables fruits and not too much of meats. and of course not to forget the free vitamin D here. :biggrin:

cold water? what a strange allergy. you're the only one i know who had that. so there's a big possibility that the problem was not in your skin but in the water, maybe it was contaminated. :smile: maybe the power of sun healed you, so it's vitamin D once again! :biggrin:

I dont know.. my mother also have that when she was younger... then i have it for i think it lasted a year. now its gone and i can take care a bath anytime even if it is very cold...yay!

oh that's strange. so if your mother had it too then maybe it was an allergy. i mean it runs in the family. lets see if your children will get it too, i just hope not. :wacko: i just dont know if it has something to do with lacking in vitamin D. :biggrin: